Cassidy Clayton


Provided by Greene County Sheriff's Department

Two men and a woman are in custody in connection with the murder of a Fredericktown man.

Stephen G. Dowd, 41, died of a gunshot wound after being shot at the Motel 6 in Springfield on Dec. 29.

Tyson Lee Hamm, 31, was booked into the Greene County Jail at 5 a.m. on Jan. 24 for suspicion of murder.

According to police spokeswoman Lisa Cox, Hamm was arrested in the 2100 block of North Roosevelt after a standoff which lasted more than seven hours.

Greene County Jail records show Hamm has been charged with second-degree murder, along with two charges of unlawful possession of a firearm and receiving stolen property. No bond was set.

Andre Seth Smiles, 29, has been charged with second-degree murder, two counts of armed criminal action and two counts of unlawful possession of a firearm. The News Leader reports he was in prison for violating his parole. The newspaper reported he had a stolen gun in a holster on his waist and appeared to have meth in his pocket during a traffic stop on Jan 3.

Cassidy Clayton, 22, has been charged with second-degree murder and conspiracy to commit delivery of a controlled substance.

The News Leader reports that authorities say Dowd drove four hours to the Springfield motel to buy $1,000 worth of meth but once he arrived two men robbed and assaulted him, and he was shot during a struggle. It is suspected Clayton facilitated the drug deal.

According to police, the 911 caller stated a male subject had been shot. When officers arrived on the scene Dowd was found seriously injured with an apparent gunshot wound. Officers and paramedics conducted lifesaving procedures, but he died at the scene.

According to court records, there has been a warrant out for Hamm's arrest since March after he skipped a sentencing for illegal possession of a firearm.

In January of 2017, court records show he had pleaded guilty to a felony charge with a sentencing hearing scheduled for two months later, which he failed to appear for three times.

The News Leader reported that a Springfield police officer assigned to the U.S. Marshals fugitive task force saw Hamm walk into a home on Tuesday evening which led to officers surrounding the home and a seven-hour standoff.

Hamm was eventually found at around 2 a.m. in a crawl space with a loaded shotgun next to him, according to the News Leader.


Load comments