20 YEARS 1998

It was a stormy night at the Farmington City Council work session. A heated discussion on a trio of storm water ordinances developed at the session between city council members, residents and developers.

The biggest discussion came up when the council talked about commercial development, proposing to leave all decisions to City Engineer Kevin Tinkler rather than having them come before the board. Mayor Kevin Engler said the city engineer should give the final approval to speed up the process of developing a commercial property, rather than have the issue come to the city council. 

Angels at Parkland Health Center come in pink and blue…jackets, that is. The Cleve sisters are among them. Ruby Gifford, Bettie Meyer, and Barbara Cortor wear the pink smocks of gift shop volunteers. Cortor managed the shop she started in 1970. She enjoyed being around people and getting away from her home work. Ruby joined her sister at Parkland in 1972.

About 122 people worked as members of the Parkland Health Center South Auxiliary. In addition to the gift shop, volunteers—known as ambassadors—work at the reception desk, directing visitors to where they need to go.

30 YEARS 1988

The Farmington Middle School girls’ basketball team won the 1988 MAJHAA Conference Basketball Tournament that ended in January which was held in Potosi.

Members of the team were: Nicole Ragland, Tracy Straughan, Gayathri Iyer, Tiffany Klein, Tish Lunsford, Tonya Wampler, Jennifer Hampton, Jane Goodman, Chastity Lynn, Shannon Webb, Kim Huff, Andrea Wright, Cathy Farland, Jennifer Dunn and Carolyn Carleton. Managers were Tracey Swafford and Robin McConnell. The coach was Jerry Chamberlain.

A bus load of Farmington basketball players, cheerleaders, coaches and sponsors were safe after narrowly avoiding a serious accident. The bus slid into a ditch about one-and-a-half mile west of Bismarck. Approximately 30 occupants were on the bus. Head coach Steve Noble and driver Pete Merseal did a good job to avoid hitting other vehicles on the icy road that night and stop the bus without it being overturned.

Everyone got out of the bus and a Bismarck teacher who lived near the accident allowed the riders to stay at his home until the bus was pulled out of the ditch.

40 YEARS 1978

One of the oldest Western Auto Stores in the nation changed hands for only the second time in its history when final papers were signed on the sale of the Ben Lewis and Sons Western Auto in Farmington. Ben Lewis owned the store for nearly 41 years, and made the change official when he turned complete operation of the store over to Art Gruner, formerly of St. Louis. Gruner was associated with Western Auto for 20 years in the St. Louis area.

James and Dolores Plummer were presented with an engraved plaque in honor of being named to Gambles’ Store One Million Dollar Club. The couple owned and operated the Farmington Gambles Store and received this honor at the annual convention and buying market in Las Vegas.

Voters soundly defeated a proposal to increase the school tax levy at the polls. If passed the proposal would have upped the tax levy to $4.50 per $100 assessed valuation from the $4.15 level and provided about $140,000 in additional funds for the operation of schools during the next school year alone. Not even a simple majority was achieved in favor of the increase and a two-thirds majority of those voting was required to pass the issue.

50 YEARS 1968

Heavy equipment used for the moving of dirt and the digging of the foundation for the Farmington Community Hospital was moved on to the hospital site. Trogdon Construction Company started immediately the necessary work for the initial construction phase of the hospital.

Farmington Knights added victories 16 and 17 as they continued their streak toward a top pre-regional tournament record and a possible share of the Mineral Area Activities Association Conference crown.

Farmington’s newest retail store, the U-Save Mart, 22 E. Columbia, was one of 10 stores of a chain. The store in Farmington was one of the newest.

The Farmington Rotary Club met at the Presbyterian Home. The program chairman for the evening had Mr. and Mrs. Darrell Plummer and their son and daughter and Ray Elders. The group gave an interesting program of vocal and instrumental music which were of western type, including one that was to be out on a record in the future.

60 YEARS 1958

This marked the 75th year anniversary of the Farmington News. The paper grew from a small beginning to a place of prominence among Missouri’s weekly newspapers. The credit was due to all of their loyal customers.

Bill Romer, of Casper, Wyoming and Deputy Sheriff of Natrona County, was on another assignment when he noticed three cars parked alongside the highway and two men were wrestling on the ground. He stopped his car and a girl came running to him, asking for help and said a man had just been killed. The girl was Carrie Fugate. She accompanied Romer on a wild chase, who soon captured the notorious killer, Charles Starkweather.

Deputy Romer was a nephew of Mrs. Orla Dunahue and Mrs. Billie Colline of Farmington.

Four Eagle Scouts from greater St. Louis Area operated the St. Louis assembly plant of Ford Motor Company’s M-E-L Division in Eagle Scout Citizenship Day.

One of the Scouts participating was from Farmington. He was Production Manager – Leonard Naeger, 16, a junior at St. Joseph’s High School, son of Mrs. And Mrs. C.H. Naeger.


Load comments