20 YEARS 1997
MoDOT was designing a ramp providing direct access from Karsch Boulevard to southbound US Highway 67.
The ramp would be an elevated structure located along the inside lane of Highway 32, west of the Maple Valley intersection. The boomerang-shaped fly-over ramp will go up and over the northbound lanes before curving southwest and merging with 67.
A team of eighth graders calling themselves the “Conquerors” won a school-wide competition with their donation of 2,132 cans to the Farmington Ministerial Alliance.
30 YEARS 1987
The Farmington Uptown Organization met at city hall with President Carole Short presiding. Dorothy Womack replaced Scott Plummer as chairman of the Uptown Promotion Committee. The members of the organization voted to sponsor an award at the annual Farmington Chamber of Commerce Banquet. The award would be called the Uptown Farmington Pride Award. Serving on the selection committee were Kevin Engler, Jack Sebastian and Willa Dean Meyer.
Millikin University student Andrew Walters of Farmington was chosen a tutor in theory for the University’s Tutoring program sponsored by the office of Orientation and Retention.
Walters, a junior music education major, is a son of Jerry and Linda Walters, rural Farmington, and a 1985 graduate of Farmington High School. At Millikin, he was a member of Jazz Lab Band, Marching Big Blue, Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia national music fraternity for men and the James Millikin Scholars honors program.
A large group of well-wishers were on hand when the Inland Express Shop on Karsch Boulevard in Farmington celebrated their ribbon cutting. Inland Express Shop was one of the newest designed convenience stores in the area - open 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
40 YEARS 1977
Southwestern Bell Telephone Company announced plans to break ground for construction of a new central office building. This would be the first step in a $500,000 program to convert Farmington’s telephone system to dial operation.
The Missouri State Highway commission announced approval of the tentative route for a proposed relocation of US Route 67 between Farmington and Fredericktown in St. Francois and Madison counties. The action follows thorough studies made of the area to determine its needs and the proper steps necessary to facilitate over-all traffic movement through and in the area.
50 YEARS 1967
A new sign acquired by St. Joseph Regional High School was a gift from the 1967 graduating class. The large green letters on a white background indicated clearly the name of the school.
The building - the old Carleton College - previously had no sign of identification except the “Science Hall 1909” carved in the cornerstone. The building was used as a high school for 19 years. The St. Joseph Grade School was also accommodated in the building for the first 11 years.
Frank Voertmann was elected to head the council for the Missouri Community Betterment committee. Voertmann served as first vice-president. Bob Greif would head the Old Settlement Festival Committee, succeeding Mrs. B.C. Vermilyea.
Mr. and Mrs. Edward Huber of Route 2, Farmington celebrated their Golden Wedding anniversary with an open house given by their children. They were married in 1917.
60 YEARS 1957
More than $8,000 was turned into the United Fund according to William Braun, chairman of the first United Fund Drive. The goal was $20,000.
Several hundred parents and patrons turned out when Farmington’s public school held open house in observance of American Education Week.
Many of the rooms in the four buildings were attractively decorated with art work, maps, charts and other student hand work.
Thanksgiving morning services were held at the First Baptist Church with Reverend J. Loren Jolly, pastor of host church, bringing the message. The subject was “Be Thankful.”
Roy Wilkerson was given an appreciation dinner for his more than four years of devoted service to the Boy Scout Troop No. 471 at Memorial Methodist Church.
70 YEARS 1947
Hotel Café, located in the St. Francois Hotel, was under the management of Robert Sauer. Sauer was an experienced restaurant man and was connected with the Intersection Café in Perryville.
The Farmington High School football team was defeated in their final game of the season at Ste. Genevieve, losing by a score of 20-6. The local team had to play without three of their regulars - Donald Effrein, George Graves and Larry Eaton.
The Presbyterian Orphanage had a drive in St. Francois County for funds in the support of the orphanage’s work. The funds would go to support the residents at the Boys’ Farm. The story said it cost $1 a day each to care for the residents, with 26 boys living in the two cottages.
The St. Francois County Motor Company put new Studebaker models on exhibition. The cars were the first new Studebaker models since the company set an entirely new automotive world with a brilliant post-war design.