20 YEARS 1997
Homecoming week at Farmington High School kicked-off with the annual Powder Puff Football Game at Haile Memorial Stadium. The boys dressed up as cheerleaders to cheer on their team and the girls got a first-hand taste of football during the Powder Puff game. Each day of the week was designated as a special theme day.
National 4-H week was held Oct. 5-11 and made headlines all over the state of Missouri, including the sizable organizations in St. Francois, Ste. Genevieve, and Washington Counties.
Robert and Elinor Romero celebrated their 50th wedding anniversary with family, residents and staff at Fleur de Lis Nursing Center in Farmington. The couple was married in St. Louis and had seven children.
Farmington High School Band Booster President, John Biri, 39, died during an annual competition held at Washington High School in which the Black Knight Marching Band was participating.
“Biri was a tremendous inspiration to all of us,” said director Kurt Bauche. “The guy was irreplaceable - he never asked for anything in return. Whatever the band needed, he thought it was cool to help out. He was the ultimate band dad.”
30 YEARS 1987
George Easley, Jr. knew the odds were stacked against him, but he was going to Las Vegas later in the month to compete in a bowling tournament where the stakes were high.
Easley was one of more than 600 amateur bowlers from the United States and abroad competing for a first prize of $250,000 during the sixth annual Lucky Strike Filters Classic in Las Vegas.
Easley entered five other tournaments in Las Vegas in recent years and never finished out of the money, so he knew all about odds. He also knew his 214 average in league play “stacked” the odds a little more in his favor.
40 YEARS 1977
In an effort to make bicycle riding safe, Farmington VFW Post 5896 sponsored Lite-A-Bike-Day at the post headquarters on Karsch Boulevard. Post members applied reflector tape to the front and rear wheels of the bikes and engraved identification numbers on the bike frame. The ID numbers would help trace the owner of the bike if stolen. The Farmington Police Department would be keeping a list of the numbers.
Two holes found in the north and east walls of the St. Francois County Jail were apparently an attempt to smuggle drugs or possibly weapons to prisoners inside the jail, according to Sheriff Jim Hickman. The holes were approximately eye level and one-inch in diameter, extending through the entire 18-inch thickness of the walls. A piece of stainless steel, shaped like a large corkscrew, was used to make the holes, the sheriff said. The holes were in a section of the jail known as “the tank.”
50 YEARS 1967
What had been farm and pastureland would soon be the site of Southeast Missouri’s newest and most modern hospital. A new 81-bed regional hospital would be erected at the county seat on 18.188 acres on East Liberty Street. The property was now owned by Farmington Community Hospital.
The annual Farmington Senior High School Homecoming would be held with the Farmington Knights opponent being Ste. Genevieve. Preparations were made for a parade through the downtown Farmington streets.
The crowning of the 1967 Homecoming Queen would take place during halftime of the football game. Queen candidates were Karen Botkin, Sandy Mayes and Karyl Ratley.
The Farmington Council of Federated Garden Clubs staged a fall show. This was the council’s first attempt to have the entries judged individually rather than by the club. They had approximately 500 people register. The theme of the show was “When Autumn Comes.”
The lunch program at the local schools was big business. They serve and prepare lunch for 2,000 students daily. The lunch room crew invited parents and other people to come by and enjoy a meal with the student for 40 cents.
60 YEARS 1957
Since its founding, the United States Committee for the United Nations had as its major objective to reach the largest number possible of citizens, of all ages, with information about the aims and achievements of the United Nations. A major program emphasis was United Nations Day on Oct. 24, 1957, announced officially by the United Nations and proclaimed annually by the president.
Voters of the St. Francois School district turned down the proposal to build a new high school. Although majority of voters favored the project, it lacked two-thirds majority again. The vote was 1,227 for and 796 against.
A home for senior citizens was planned to be located in Farmington. The decision was reached when the Synods of Missouri Presbyterian Churches voted to build a home for retired and elderly people at their meeting.
The new home would be located on a tract of land owned by the Presbyterian Home located at the northeast edge of Farmington.
70 YEARS 1947
Earl R. Scott, proprietor of Scott’s Firestone Store at Farmington, was expanding the floor space of his store considerably.The adjoining location – previously occupied by a beauty shop – was obtained and the wall between the two rooms removed, throwing the entire floor space into one large store room. When completed, Scott’s would have a most attractive store with considerable more space for display of their merchandise.
The City of Farmington could be well proud of its good fire record as announced by Fire Chief Paule in observance of National Fire Prevention Week. Statistics showed in 1946 the fire department made only 18 fire calls within the city limits, with the estimated damage being $1,145. Four of these were grass fires, eight were automobile fires, two occurring at service stations and one was caused from smoking in bed. So far in 1947 the department had 20 fire calls with the damage estimated at $3,592. The largest fire this year was when the wiring in the high school auditorium caught fire from lightning.