A Park Hills man faces a list of drug-related charges after his mother apparently fell asleep with a lit cigarette, which caught her mattress on fire.
The incident unfolded at about 6:36 a.m. today when the fire department was called to a house fire near Buckley Street. Police officers arrived ahead of the first firemen and quickly extinguished a smoldering mattress using a handheld fire extinguisher.
By that time the house had filled with smoke from the smoldering bed. When the first firemen arrived they donned gear and searched the house to assure all occupants had gotten out safely.
When they entered the basement of the home they reportedly found a small marijuana growing operation with about 20 plants, lighting and watering equipment and other assorted gear used to cultivate the pot plants.
Officers questioned the 45-year-old man living in the home, the son of the woman who had accidentally set her mattress on fire, and he apparently admitted to growing the marijuana ... saying he was cultivating the plant solely for his own use.
Charges should be filed early next week.