FARMINGTON – Junior Bryce Sancegraw posted his fourth consecutive hat trick by netting four goals in the second half to reach 25 on the season, and the Farmington soccer team routed St. Mary's 9-1 on Tuesday night.

Ian Asher scored twice as he Knights (8-2) exploded for seven goals after taking a 2-0 lead into halftime.

Sancegraw netted the first goal of the second half after receiving an excellent lead pass from Tristan Stotler in the 44th minute. The shot was tipped and slowed by opposing goalkeeper Matthew Brozovich, but slowly rolled across the line for a 3-0 lead.

Less than a minute later, Sancegraw assisted Ian Asher, who got the ball past Brozovich at the top of the box to create a 4-0 margin.

Keith Polette notched the lone goal for St. Mary’s in the 51st minute on a shot from 25 yards out that found the upper-left corner to shrink the difference to 4-1.

It took Sancegraw just a matter of seconds to get back on the offensive and offset the goal with one of his own.

Sancegraw dribbled through a crowd of defenders to drill the shot from just outside of the box, and complete his fourth consecutive hat trick with 13 minutes to play. His fourth goal came on a penalty kick with nine minutes to play after Jeff Strobel tripped him in pursuit from behind.

The turf field was slick early in the contest due to previous heavy rains, which resulted in several overshot passes and errant shots at the goal for each side. In the 12th minute, Asher missed a chance from just in front of the goal after the ball slid off the top of his foot.

Sancegraw also missed his first two attempts before his third tipped off a defender near the goal and was cleaned up by Asher for a 1-0 Farmington advantage with 17 minutes remaining in the first half.

Jackson Schrum tacked on the second goal for the Knights five minutes later after Sancegraw delivered a cross into the box on a free kick.

Farmington dominated time of possession, shown by it 35 total shots and five corners. St. Mary’s had just 10 shots in the contest.

Chad Silvey recorded five saves for the Knights. Brozozvich and Ben Kurkowski combined to make five stops for the Dragons.

Stotler posted the first goal against Kurkowski five minutes after he entered midway through the second half. A shot from 30 yards beat the keeper, who tried running out to meet the ball on the attack.

Asher delivered a precise pass into a wide-open box to set up Cameron Friend for a 7-1 lead with 14 minutes remaining. Sancegraw tried adding to his standout performance with a bicycle kick during the third half, but narrowly missed off the crossbar.

Tyler Herzog and Derek Wisdom provided exceptional defense for Farmington, as Collin Camerford often pushed the attack for the Dragons.


Load comments