Skip to content

Officials believe smoke detector saved home

IRON MOUNTAIN LAKE — Fire officials believe that a working smoke detector kept a mobile home from being destroyed by fire early Friday morning.

Firefighters were dispatched to a flue fire in a mobile home at 522 Potosi Drive in Iron Mountain Lake about 2:30 a.m. Friday.

Deputy Fire Chief Chris Gibbons said the homeowner and her three children were awakened by a smoke detector just after 2 a.m. The owner saw fire coming out of the flue and attempted to put it out it with a fire extinguisher.

When firefighters from Bismarck arrived, there was still fire and intense heat in the flue. A thermal imaging camera, which was purchased for the fire department through a Homeland Security grant, located the fire and indicated it was 1000 degrees.

Firefighters were able to get the fire extinguished within eight minutes. The damage was contained to the stove and the flue. There was no structural damage.

“If they wouldn’t have had the smoke detector, (the home) would have burnt and the mother and three children might not have escaped,” he said.

Gibbons said the flue fire was located near the front door and mobile homes have a tendency to burn very quickly.

Firefighters ventilated the home and the family was able to go back inside.

“I love smoke detector success stories,” Gibbons said.

Leave a Comment