Skip to content

Firefighters see the fire from the firehouse

BONNE TERRE – While Big River Fire Protection District firefighters were watching the street to their fire house get blacktopped Friday afternoon, a barn fire on 7400 David Road in Bonne Terre blazed. The firefighters scrambled to get to their equipment which was already parked along Vo-Tech Road because of the blacktopping project.

“We actually saw the smoke from the firehouse,” said Chief David Pratte. “We got dispatched to the fire at 1:21 p.m. It was dispatched out as a first-alarm residential fire, but we had requested additional manpower and extra tankers.”

Pratte said once firefighters arrived on the scene, the fire was under control within 30 minutes.

“There were 60 round bales of hay inside the barn along with a tractor and other farm machinery,” Pratte said. “The cause of the fire is most likely green hay or wet hay that was in a pile. When it’s piled it can deteriorate and build heat, which can lead to fires. We were told that the owner, Ron Pettus, had recently put some new hay in the barn.”

The owner was not home at the time of the fire.

“It’s a total loss,” Pratte said. “We are making a perimeter around the barn with water and are going to let it extinguish itself.”

Leave a Comment