Skip to content

Fire diisplaces family for second time

LEADWOOD – A Leadwood house was badly damaged by fire early Saturday morning, displacing a family for a second time in just a matter of weeks.

Assistant Chief Charles S. Lewis said the fire started in the attic of a rental home at 417 Hill Street. The smoke detectors went off just before 2 a.m., waking up the residents of the home, David and Patricia Iahn.

State Fire Marshal Rodger Windle said he has been able to determine the fire was accidental in nature. However, he has not been able to conclude how exactly the fire occurred.

Lewis said the fire was most likely electrical.

“The bad thing about this was the people who were renting the house were renting it because about a month ago their house was (damaged by fire),” Windle said.

Windle said that house fire, which was also on Hill Street, was ruled accidental, too. That fire was believed to have been started by candles that had not been fully extinguished.

He indicated the damage there was not as bad as at the rental property. Windle said at their own home, there was fire damage to the kitchen and smoke damage throughout the house.

Lewis said the fire came through the ceiling and the walls into the kitchen area in the rental property, which was owned by William Murphy.

Firefighters from Desloge and Bismarck assisted Bismarck with the fire.

Leave a Comment