40 Years Ago
From The Farmington Press, March 28, 1968
• The class of 19 students in the Mineral Area College practical nursing program were the first to complete the one-year training under the sponsorship of the college.
• Incumbent aldermen in three of four city wards would be facing opposition in the city election.
• Farmington Motor Company advertised the new limited-edition, specially priced Mustang Sprint. The car featured wheel lip moldings and covers, pop-open gas cap on the V-6. The V-8 had wide-ovals, steel wheels and GT fog lamps.
• The Roseland Theatre in Flat River was showing “Bonnie and Clyde”, starring Faye Dunaway and Warren Beaty. Also showing was “Clambake”, starring Elvis Presley.
• Heck’s IGA advertised fresh, ripe California strawberries at three pints for 99 cents.
30 Years Ago
From The Farmington Evening Press, March 27-31, 1978
• After 38 years in business in Farmington, Berl J. Miller was bringing to a close his career as a licensed embalmer for the past 45 years. His funeral home was sold to David Taylor, a former employee of Miller Funeral Home.
• Sherry Tyger, Aimee Hawn, Karen Bach and Jamie Simpson played the parts of “Flopsy”, “Mopsy”, “Cottontail”, and “Peter” for the kindergarten production of “Peter Rabbit”.
• A story on the popularity of print T-shirts said the students at Farmington Middle School held a “T-Shirt Day”.
• The Farmington Wal-Mart advertised the fifth annual Jaycee’s East Egg Hunt for April 1 in the lot next to Farmington Wal-Mart
• Playing at the Bonne Terre Cinema were “The Goodbye Girl” and Walt Disney’s “Candleshoe”.
20 Years Ago
From The Farmington Press Advertiser, March 25-29, 1988
• Farmington Mayor Ron Stevens signed the closing portion for the $1,725,000 sewer system revenue bonds to finance work on the east and west treatment plants.
• The A team cheerleaders at St. Joseph Catholic school were Holly Bertrand, Darla Dugal, Brianna Skaggs, Amy Beussink, and Gena Chung.
• Candidates for Farmington School Board were Terri Mackley, Jessie Williams, Bob Satterthwaite, and Florence Bone.
• Farmington High School Students of the Month included Jill Crowley, Phillip Maloney, Brad Ross, and Gary Reeves.
• The Flat River Movies featured “Three Men and a Baby” and “Police Academy 5”.
10 Years Ago
From The Daily Press Leader, March 25-31, 1998
• Announcing the need to amend two funds, Farmington Director of Finance Greg Shinn told the Finance and Personnel committee the city is in good financial shape at the half-way point in the annual budget.
• Students in the Farmington School District gave their opinions on the need to pass the Proposition 2 $7.4 million bond issue in the district.
• Barbara Milburn and Gilana Lindsey were featured in the local cooks portion of the paper.