Skip to content

Your check was in the mail

The checks were in the mail to at least 60 people in St. Francois, Washington, Iron, Madison and Ste. Genevieve County, but the IRS could not deliver the money.

The IRS reports it could not deliver refund or stimulus checks to 50 people in St. Francois County and 19 in Washington County. Undeliverable checks in other counties were less than 10, so specific numbers for them are unavailable.

The stimulus checks total $18,662 dollars and averaged $460 in St. Francois County. In Washington County, the total was $10,661 and averaged $627.

Refund amounts were unavailable.

“We want to get this money to the people it belongs to,” said Michael Devine, IRS spokesperson. “It’s really a simple process. As soon as the owner updates their address with the IRS, we can reissue the check.”

Statewide, the IRS is seeking nearly 5,000 Missouri taxpayers who are missing refunds and stimulus payments totaling $3 million. Nationally, more than 279,000 taxpayers are missing stimulus checks totaling about $163 million and more than 104,000 regular refund checks totaling about $103 million.

To find out where your check is, visit and use the Where’s My Refund or Where’s My Stimulus Payment links. You will need information from your 2007 tax return.

If you lack Internet access, you can call the IRS Refund Hotline at 800-829-1954 or the Economic Stimulus Payment Hotline at 866-234-2942. Both automated tools are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

The online tool can provide the status of a refund or stimulus check. In many cases, instructions will be provided to resolve potential account problems.

“Checks are often returned to the IRS because a life change — such as a marriage or divorce —  causes an address change,” said Devine. If a taxpayer moves or changes addresses and a tax check is sent to them there, it is returned as undeliverable.

To ensure your address is correct, file Form 8822, Change of Address, with the IRS. The form may be downloaded at or request it by calling 1-800-829-3676.

Tax refunds can be deposited directly to a personal checking or savings account to avoid undelivered tax refunds in future. This option is available for both paper and electronically filed returns.

Leave a Comment