Skip to content

Leadwood man admits to slashing officer’s tires

FARMINGTON — A Leadwood man has admitted to slashing a police officer’s tires.

On Friday, Keith Carter, 43, pleaded guilty to first-degree tampering with a vehicle and possession of meth. Three other charges were dismissed as part of a plea agreement.

He is scheduled to be sentenced before Circuit Court Judge Sandy Martinez on May 14.

According to court records, a police officer went to Carter’s home in July of 2008 after someone reported suspicious activity there.

When the officer arrived, Carter was outside pacing back and forth. Carter took out a knife that was hooked on his belt, pointed it toward the officer, and then tried to punch the officer.

When the officer told him he was going to be placed under arrest, Carter resisted arrest and struck the officer in the jaw. He then pulled out his knife again and pointed it at the officer.

The officer drew his firearm and ordered Carter to put the knife down, which he did. Carter then tried to punch the officer again. The officer used his baton as the man continued to resist and tried to assault the officer by throwing things.

After a second officer arrived, Carter continued to resist but was eventually handcuffed.

Chief Jerry Hicks arrived and told the officer that the tires of the officer’s personal truck had been slashed at the police station.

Carter told police he had been at the police station earlier and slashed the tires and threw a rock through the window of the truck. Police later learned that the cable box had been ripped off the wall and the air conditioning unit and electric box had been tampered with.

Police searched Carter’s home and found meth and instructions on how to make meth.

Carter has other charges pending in St. Francois and Washington counties.

He pleaded guilty in Crawford County in 2004 to endangering the welfare of a child. He also pleaded guilty in St. Francois County in 1997 to a weapons charge.

In other cases, David Bowen, 36, of North Carolina, was sentenced to five years in prison for two counts of possession of a controlled substance.

Cory J. McMahan, 22, of Park Hills, was placed on five years of supervised probation for tampering with a motor vehicle.

William Randall Hardie, 25, of Brumley, was sentenced to five years in prison for violating the probation he received for possession of a chemical with intent to make meth.

Charles G. Ivy, 37, of Sullivan, pleaded guilty to manufacture of a controlled substance. Several drug charges were dismissed as part of a plea agreement. He is scheduled to be sentenced on May 3.

Teresa Ressel is a reporter for the Daily Journal and can be reached at 573-431-2010, ext. 179 or at

Leave a Comment