Skip to content

Superintendent sets seven goals for high school

BISMARCK – Bismarck R-5 School District Superintendent Chuck Hasty announced seven goals for the high school he hopes will be reached by no later than Aug. 1, 2013. He shared these goals at the regular monthly meeting of the Bismarck Board of Education held last Thursday at the school district’s administrative office.

Superintendent Hasty told board members he shared the following seven goals with high school administrators prior to the start of the 2011-12 school year last week:

• To attain “Distinction in Performance” status from the Missouri Department of Elementary and Secondary Education (DESE).

• To have 50 percent of Bismarck’s graduating seniors scoring at or above the national average on the ACT.

• To have 75 percent of Bismarck graduates successfully attending a two or four year college or university, technical school or the military, with the remaining 25 percent gainfully employed.

• To have 20 percent of Bismarck seniors graduate with a minimum of 20 college credit hours.

• To have at least one student graduate from Bismarck High School and Mineral Area College at the same time.

• To see the school district’s special education students achieving at a high level.

• To have all students reading at or above their grade level.

The superintendent told the board that all of the seven goals shared were believed by the high school administration to be reachable.

“I asked them, ‘why not Bismarck?’” said Hasty.

He pointed out that the school district is among the few in the state having all the necessary tools to attain such goals, including smaller class sizes and the ability to develop and maintain relationships with students throughout their entire educational career due to the design of the school facility.

In other action by the board:

• An annual tax levy of 4.21 per $100 of assessed value was approved for the upcoming year. Hasty told board members that the tax levy increase would mean “only a $33.33 increase” for property owners of a house assessed at $50,000.

• In his superintendent’s report, Hasty announced that this year’s summer school attendance had been “strong,” with 100 or more students attending most days; said the school district’s enrollment currently totaled 567 students; and offered updates on school facilities and educational programs/changes for the new year.

• The following consent agenda items were approved: Minutes of the regular meeting held on June 16; treasurer’s report and financial statement; payment of bills; and action on resignations and employment of staff.

• Superintendent Hasty informed board members a thank you card had been received by the district from Tom Shepherd in the death of his grandchild.

• Approved an annual report presented on facilities and safety.

• Approved the sale of the school district’s surplus shop equipment.

• Approved a conflict of interest ordinance-policy.

• Heard a first reading of a review of board policy/regulation 3224 and 3165.

Kevin R. Jenkins is a reporter for the Daily Journal and can be reached at 573-431-2010, ext. 114 or at

Leave a Comment