Located adjacent to the Black River, Markham Springs Recreation Area gets its name from the former owner, M. J. Markham, who acquired the property in 1901 and operated a lumber mill at the site until the 1930s. This recreation area consists of a small (12-site) modern campground with single and double campsites that have electric hook-ups, primitive camping loops in a wooded setting near the Black River; a day use area with a 2-acre, 20 foot deep mill pond that dates back to the 1800s, several picnic sites, open fields; river access for boating, fishing and float tubes and canoes; and short hiking trails that provide views of the river, the pond, the springs and the uplands. Six springs pour almost 5 million gallons of water a day into the pond, and the bubble spring, a smaller outlet of Markham Spring outside of the pond area that has air with it, rises in soft sand forming the unique “air bubbles”.
In the late 1930’s, Rudolph Fuchs built a 5-bedroom concrete and native stone house for his family, and also built the present wheel house to produce electricity for his needs. Power was obtained by building a dam in a semi-circle below a large spring forming a small pond. The water was to pour through a chute on the wheel to produce electricity; however electricity arrived to the site before the wheel ever needed to do its job. The area had an undershot wheel providing power to a grist mill in the late 19th century.
The historic Fuchs house was restored by a group of craftsmen under permit from the National Forest. Used primarily by these individuals and their families, it is also available for rent by the day, weekend, or week. For additional Information on Home Resort Rental visit www.markhamsprings.com
The campground opens May 1 and remains open through Oct. 1. Only campers are allowed in the campground from 10 p.m. to 6 a.m. The day use area, including the boat launch, trails and picnic area are open year-round.