U.S. Rep. Jason Smith, R-8th District, has announced the opening of the annual 8th Congressional District Art Contest. High school students in the district are encouraged to participate in the contest.
Each spring this nationwide high school art competition recognizes and encourages artistic talent. Since the competition began in 1982, more than 650,000 high school students have participated.
Students in grades 9 through 12 can submit original paintings, drawings, collages, mixed media, computer-generated art, and photographs. A panel of art experts will select a winning work of art to represent Missouri’s 8th District.
The art will be displayed on Capitol Hill for a year. In addition, the art contest winner will receive free airfare to attend a national recognition reception in Washington D.C. held in June.
“The Congressional Art Contest is a great way to recognize talented high school students in our 8th Congressional District,” said Smith. “In addition to being recognized locally, the winner of the contest will also be invited to Washington D.C., to attend a recognition ceremony and see their art displayed on Capitol Hill. We hope to have participation from schools across our district. I encourage anyone who is interested in participating in the contest to contact my office.”
Entrees must be submitted to one of Smith’s offices by April 25.
Artwork can be dropped off at:
• Cape Girardeau Office: 2502 Tanner Drive, Suite 205, Cape Girardeau, MO 63703, 573-335-0101
• Farmington Office: 22 East Columbia Street, Farmington, MO 63640, 573-756-9755
• Poplar Bluff Office: 2911 North Westwood Blvd., Suite C, Poplar Bluff, MO 63907, 573-778-6679
• Rolla Office: 830A South Bishop, Rolla, MO 65401, Rolla, MO 573-364-2455
• West Plains Office: 35 Court Square, Suite 300, West Plains, MO 417-255-1515
For more information, students may contact Leslie Herbst at 573-335-0101 or email email@example.com. In addition, student can get more information by visiting: http://www.house.gov/content/educate/art_competition/