Firefighters responded to a home engulfed in flames near Highway N and Trap Rock Road on Sunday morning.
According to Bismarck Fire Chief Steve Dickey, the fire was initially dispatched as a first alarm fire but once his department arrived at the scene it was quickly upgraded to a two alarm and eventually a three alarm fire.
“We were the first on the scene,” Dickey said. “Very seldom do you see a house completely consumed by fire from top to bottom, side to side and front to back.”
Dickey stated the residents were home when the fire broke out, but all were able to escape. One of the residents did have a minor burn to his hand, but the chief was not aware of him seeking medical treatment.
The cause of the fire was not initially determined.
According to Dickey, one real concern with a house fire of this intensity is the firefighters overheating.
“My biggest concern right now is my firefighters,” Dickey said. “It might not seem that hot when it’s 80 degrees or so, but you start putting on all that gear and then add the fire, it raises the temperature. We are trying to keep them well hydrated so they don’t get heat stroke.
Some of the other departments responding included Farmington, Doe Run, Pilot Knob, Park Hills and Caledonia.