A construction worker received minor injuries Thursday morning on a school district job site.
Farmington Fire Chief Todd Mecey said crews were dispatched at 8:28 a.m. for the report of a burn victim at the construction site of the new FEMA building for the Early Childhood Center on Franklin Street in Farmington.
“Upon our arrival, we found a construction worker on the roof who had received minor injuries,” Mecey said.
According to Mecey, an explosion occurred when the worker was welding at an area on the roof directly above a room with an acetylene leak.
“There was an ignition and explosion of acetylene inside a job box,” Mecey said.
The worker was transported to Parkland Health Center-Liberty by St. Francois County Ambulance for observation.
Mecey said he received a number of calls from individuals with reports of hearing an explosion while on the scene.
Ashley Krause, associate superintendent for the Farmington School District, said she received a call from Truman Kindergarten Principal Kim Johnson shortly after the incident occurred.
The area where the incident occurred is near the kindergarten center, but not directly on the site where classes are held.
According to Krause, there was no disruption to the classrooms at the school. Students located in the gymnasium were moved to the main building only as a precaution.
Krause praised Johnson for her quick response in following district protocol to properly assess the situation. District buildings supervisor Mark Krause was also on the scene shortly after when it was determined there would be no need to evacuate the students.
Krause said Johnson sent an email to Truman Kindergarten parents immediately after informing of the incident. A letter to parents was sent home as well.