The Presbyterian Church of Farmington will host an open house May 15 at the church sanctuary, 403 West Columbia Street in Farmington. The event is open to the public.
Major restoration work has been completed on the church sanctuary, originally built in 1885-86 and in continuous use since that time. Gifts from the estate of Florence Hunt Hawn have supported major renovation of brick and stone masonry of the exterior; improved exterior lighting; restoration of ceiling and paintwork in the worship space (which seats approximately 200 people; and improved handicapped accessibility.
Work is presently underway to improve the electric lighting with minimal compromise to the traditional charm of the 110-year-old chandeliers.
The church was chartered in 1832, occupying a log structure where the St. Francois County Courthouse is presently located. The congregation later moved to the southeast corner of West Columbia and A Streets, occupying a building which has long since been replaced. In 1886 the move was made to the present structure. An education building was added in 1926 with additional education, fellowship and office space added in the early 1960s.
The restored worship space is to be re-dedicated to Christian service at the worship service on Pentecost Sunday on May 15. The open house is hosted by church elders and other members to welcome the public and celebrate God’s work in our midst. The congregation is connected to the Presbytery of Giddings-Lovejoy, the Synod of Mid-America, and the General Assembly of Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.).
Rev. Paul Bembower has served the congregation as a pastor since 2007.