Skip to content

A soggy week ahead for the Parkland

The week ahead looks like it’s going to be another soggy one for the Parkland as an active weather pattern dominated by two troughs will be controlling southeast Missouri weather Sunday through Friday.

According to the National Weather Service, the first trough which, as of press time, was wound up in a tight closed low over Arizona will have filled in and drifted east into New Mexico by Saturday evening and on into Texas by Sunday evening. Showers will spread into the area early Sunday morning, but it looks like there will be a break in the afternoon and early evening, then more showers arriving by late evening.

The atmosphere will become more unstable Monday as the upper trough moves from the Plains into the Mississippi Valley, introducing thunderstorms into the forecast.

There will be a short break from the rain on Tuesday as the upper level ridge portion of the amplified pattern moves over the Midwest. Enjoy it, because it’s looking like the daylight hours of Tuesday may end up being one of the region’s only “clear” days of the week as the next trough moves from the Great Plains into the Mississippi Valley Tuesday and Wednesday.

It appears now that the system will pass further to the north than Monday’s trough, which will put the region further into the warm sector. This will make for higher thunderstorm chances Tuesday night and Wednesday than earlier in the week.

Thursday looks wet and cool on the cold side of the storm system. Strong cold energy behind the storm are forecast to bring temperatures down to near or just below freezing. At this time, all of the precipitation is expected to be liquid, but it might get cold enough during the pre-dawn hours and overnight hours of Thursday night for a little snow. Don’t get too excited about this, however. NWS isn’t putting it in the forecast yet, but they say it’ll be close.

Current indications are that the precipitation will end before daylight Friday and temperatures should rebound to near seasonal norms.

Here’s the detailed forecast for the period:

Saturday will be mostly sunny with a high near 61 and 6 mph winds from the north. Saturday night will see increasing clouds with a low around 44 and east winds of 3-5 mph.

Sunday should see mostly cloudy skies with a high near 68 and southeast winds of 5-7 mph. Showers are likely in the evening with thunderstorms possible after 10 p.m. The low will be around 54 degrees with a southeast wind of 3-6 mph. The chance of precipitation is 70 percent.

Monday will bring occasional showers and possibly a thunderstorm throughout the afternoon and a high near 65. The chance of precipitation is 90 percent. In the evening there will still be a 40 percent chance of showers and a low of around 49.

Tuesday will be a beautiful day with mostly sunny skies and a high near 69. In the evening, showers and thunderstorms will be likely, mainly after 1 a.m. The low will be around 50 degrees and there will be a 60 percent chance of precipitation.

Wednesday will bring a slight chance of showers in the morning and then an increased chance of showers and thunderstorms in the afternoon. It will be partly sunny with a high near 65 degrees and a 30 percent chance of precipitation. There will still be a 30 percent chance of showers in the evening with a low of around 42.

Thursday will see a 40 percent chance of showers with a high around 59. In the evening showers will be likely with a low around 39 degrees and a 60 percent chance of precipitation.

The workweek will end cooler with a high of 58 under mostly sunny skies.

Keep up with the latest NWS weather forecast, as well as watches and warnings at www.dailyjournalonline.com.

Jenkins

Jenkins

Kevin Jenkins is a reporter for the Daily Journal and can be reached at 573-518-3614 or kjenkins@dailyjournalonline.com

Leave a Comment