Skip to content

Murder suspects waive extradition

Two southeast Missouri men charged with first-degree murder in connection with a triple shooting that took place Oct. 18 in Reynolds County waived extradition to Missouri when they appeared before a judge on Monday in Ohio.

Timothy Callahan, 44, of Potosi, and David Young, 67, of Ironton, are facing murder charges in the shooting deaths of James and Janet Nance, who were shot in the head at their rural home, along with an elderly woman who remains hospitalized from her wounds.

The pair also face charges in Ohio for being fugitives from justice after they were arrested Saturday at a motel in Deerfield Township, Ohio, where the two men were taken into custody without incident.

According to Reynolds County Sheriff Tom Stout, investigators from his office and the Missouri State Highway Patrol headed to Hamilton Township to interview Callahan and Young after they learned the men were in custody.

According to court documents, Reynolds County Prosecuting Attorney Michael Randazzo alleges that on Oct. 18, Young and Callahan went to the home of James and Janet Nance, located on Highway 106 about five miles outside of Ellington, to rob James Nance.

While the robbery was in progress, Nance’s wife and her friend arrived home, at which time the couple and the woman were all shot in the head at about 4 p.m.

Janet Nance, 72, died the day of the shooting after being airlifted to a St. Louis hospital. James Nance, 86, died a few days later from his injuries, on Oct. 21.

The second female shooting victim, age 73, was able to speak early investigators about what happened despite her serious injuries. Randazzo said the woman provided investigators with information that helped law enforcement track down the suspects, as well as what happened at the crime scene.

According to Sheriff Stout, the three victims were all shot “execution style” and the surviving female victim was shot twice in the head during the robbery attempt that the sheriff said only netted the killers a couple of thousand dollars.

On Monday, Randazzo promised more charges are on the way and that he intends to pursue the case against Callahan and Young as far as possible — up to and including the death penalty.

According to investigators, two witnesses saw a blue car matching the description of the escape vehicle leave the Nance home, after which it was seen turning onto Route F and traveling north. Later that evening, a blue 1998 Pontiac Sunfire was towed near the Dent County town of Boss. Court documents say the vehicle was owned and operated by David Young.

Witnesses reported that they saw Young traveling the next day with a man identified as Timothy Callahan. One witness stated that Young had said Callahan shot three people in the back of the head and had to shoot one person twice because they “wouldn’t die.”

Court documents indicated that Young was at the home when the shooting occurred.

Investigators found the Pontiac Sunfire on Oct. 21 at Young’s last known address in the 1300 block of Trapp Rock Road in Ironton. Officers interviewed Young’s girlfriend, Linda Brown, who also lives at the home. Brown told investigators that the last time she had seen Young was on Oct. 19 and that he was scheduled to appear Oct. 20 in Gasconade County Court on a felony charge of financial exploitation of an elderly or disabled person.

According to that probable cause statement, Young attempted to get a St. Francois County couple to pay him $4,800 to repair a barn that the insurance company said should have cost around $1,300. Because Young did not appear in court on the charges, he has an outstanding felony warrant for his arrest with nationwide extradition.

Investigators learned on Oct. 26 that Young and Callahan were staying at the Red Cedar Lodge in Bonne Terre. Officers spoke with the motel’s staff and also reviewed surveillance video which confirmed both suspects had stayed at the hotel and checked out in the early morning hours of Oct. 26. Surveillance video from the motel showed that Young and Callahan were traveling in a U-Haul rented by Callahan in Poplar Bluff due to be returned Oct. 25 in St. Louis.

Police say the U-Haul was returned Oct. 27 to a dealer near Cincinnati, Ohio. Young’s daughter, who lives in the Cincinnati area, confirmed that Young and Callahan were staying at a motel in Deerfield Township, Ohio.

On the morning of Oct. 28 — at the request of the Missouri State Highway Patrol — the Warren County Ohio Tactical Team executed a search warrant at the Best Western Mason Inn where both Callahan and Young were located. Young was arrested on the outstanding arrest warrant and Callahan was held as a person of interest in the Nance murders and the assault.

In an Oct. 27 interview with Missouri State Highway Patrol investigators and the Reynolds County Sheriff’s Office, its reported that Callahan admitted that he and Young had traveled to the Nance home on Oct. 18 for the purpose of committing a robbery.

According to court records, Callahan told investigators that he and Young — armed with a .22 caliber revolver and 9mm handgun — drove Young’s 1998 Pontiac Sunfire to the home where they subsequently stole cash from James Nance.

Callahan stated that he then shot James Nance, Janet Nance, and the third victim in the back of the head with the .22 caliber revolver, after which he and Young fled the scene.





Kevin Jenkins is a reporter for the Daily Journal and can be reached at 573-518-3614 or

Leave a Comment