Several area fire departments were called to the 2400 block of Possum Hollow Road at 6:33 p.m. Monday for a mobile home that was on fire.
Wolf Creek Fire Chief Bart Mabry said when they arrived the residence was engulfed in flames and flames were coming out pretty much every window.
“The fire started from a propane heater in the home and there was one person inside at the time,” said Mabry. “At first he didn’t want any help medically, but his hair was singed pretty badly and you just never know with smoke inhalation so he was taken to Parkland Hospital.”
Mabry said he wasn’t sure what the man was doing with the propane heater in the home, but it either ignited or exploded in there causing the fire.
“He also had a lot of birds in the home that didn’t make it,” said Mabry. “I’m not sure how many, I was just told a lot of them were in there.”
He added there was a house nearby that was at risk of being exposed to the fire, but they were able to knock the flames down in time, preventing damage to the other home.
“It appeared the fire may have started toward the center of the mobile home,” said Mabry. “We had to shuttle water in so we had several tankers set up. None of the firefighters were injured and we were there for approximately two hours.”
Departments assisting Wolf Creek were Farmington, Doe Run, Park Hills and Desloge Fire Departments.
Renee Bronaugh is a reporter for the Daily Journal and can be reached at 573-518-3617 or email@example.com