Skip to content

City assists senior aid association with insurance costs

The Park Hills City Council voted last week to assist the Flat River Senior Citizens Aid Association by allowing the organization’s senior apartments onto the city’s insurance policy.

City Administrator Mark McFarland introduced the ordinance allowing the amendment of the city and association’s lease agreement, originally entered into in 2002.

“We’ve discussed in the past, getting the Flat River Senior Citizens Aid Association on our insurance to help them get a reduced rate,” McFarland said. “This ordinance, bill #1267, would authorize a second amendment to the lease agreement with the Flat River Senior Citizens Aid Association and their insurance will be on our MOPERM (Missouri Public Entity Risk Management Fund) insurance.”

The association operates the senior apartments, below which is the Park Hills Senior Nutrition Center. The entire building is owned by the City of Park Hills, with the association renting the upper stories to operate as reduced-rent apartments for seniors.

The agreement states that the Flat River Senior Citizens Aid Association will pay 75 percent of its annual premium, while the nutrition center will pay the remaining 25 percent.

The issue was first brought to the council by Ward 4 Councilman John Clark after he met with the Flat River Senior Citizens Aid Association late last year and returned to the council with the request to assist the association with insurance cost.

At a Dec. 12, 2017 meeting of the council Clark described the financial situation with insurance costs between the city and the association.

“The current setup is that the city pays 25 percent and the Senior Aid Association pays 75 percent of that insurance bill, which runs them around $6,000 throughout the year,” Clark had said. “They actually wanted us to consider maybe helping them out a little more with that.”

During the meeting this month, McFarland said that Clark had helped to negotiate the exact arrangement with the aid association and asked Clark to clarify about the association’s additional insurance for the building’s contents.

“That was one of the options that they had — to come onto the city’s insurance, which would cover the building and all, but they could also pick up for around $1,300 a year, thirty or forty-thousand dollars’ worth of content coverage because they supply all of the appliances and such.”

The Flat River Senior Citizens Aid Association is a nonprofit organization that provides affordable housing for senior citizens at its Senior Apartments, located at 224 West Main Street in Park Hills.

The Flat River Senior Citizens Aid Association operates the senior apartments in downtown Park Hills above the city-operated Senior Nutrition Center. With a new agreement between the two parties, the aid association will save dollars on property insurance in its already tight budget.

The Flat River Senior Citizens Aid Association operates the senior apartments in downtown Park Hills above the city-operated Senior Nutrition Center. With a new agreement between the two parties, the aid association will save dollars on property insurance in its already tight budget.

Jacob Scott is a reporter with the Daily Journal. He can be reached at 573-518-3616 or at jscott@dailyjournalonline.com.

Leave a Comment