Several area fire departments responded to a house fire on Tyler Street in Desloge after the call went out for a possible rescue Tuesday morning at 8:39 a.m.
Desloge Fire Chief Larry Gremminger said it was called in as a well-involved structure with a possible rescue, but when they arrived both residents were out of the home.
“We found a fire in the attached garage and we were able to knock it down pretty quickly,” Gremminger said. “After looking into it pretty closely, it appeared that it was an accidental electrical fire from a short in a piece of equipment.”
Gremminger said the damage was pretty much contained to the garage area, however it did spread to a trash can and other items.
“There was a new car in the garage that had some smoke damage and residue on it,” Gremminger said. “It was a compartment fire and was basically right there inside the garage and on the outside of the door going into the home itself. It was pretty much contained to that general area.”
The homeowner said his wife had just had a knee replacement.
“We got the call and responded like it was a possible rescue because you just never know,” Gremminger said.
The chief said anything could have happened as there were some kerosene heaters and a propane tank, along with a car, in the garage.
“Another thing is they kept the garage door and the door closed into the home,” Gremminger said. “So everything was closed up tight when we got there, so it really didn’t have chance to get a lot of air to continue to free burn. It was kind of limited as to what it could do because they kept the doors closed, which helped.”
Desloge firefighters were assisted by personnel from Park Hills, Big River and Farmington fire departments.
Renee Bronaugh is a reporter for the Daily Journal and can be reached at 573-518-3617 or firstname.lastname@example.org