30 YEARS 1988
A clay reconstruction of a skill found in rural St. Francois County earlier in 1988 gave authorities a clue to the possible facial features of the victim, whose identity puzzled authorities since its discovery.
The woman’s completely decomposed body was found in a shallow grave on March 22, 1988 at the S-F Scout Ranch, approximately 10 miles south of Farmington. Sgt. Ron Bizelli of the Missouri State Highway Patrol stated that approximately one-third of the women’s bones were excavated and the rest possibly carried off by animals.
Also found with the body was a “tac” button used on blue jeans, imprinted with the name “Texwood.” A check of that brand revealed that it was a trade name of Texwood International, Hong Kong, China, which exports blue jeans.
Occult-like markings on rocks, and animal carcasses at Gruner Ford Access off Highway H in Farmington were apparently the work of “kids who don’t know what they-re dealing with,” said an investigator with the St. Francois County Sheriff’s Department.
“The only times (satanic worshippers) paint symbols or go public is when they want to identify some place that is causing them problems like a church," said an investigator. Occult markings are held in secret.
40 YEARS 1978
Farmington halfback Carl Peterson zipped across the goal line for the second Knight touchdown against St. Vincent’s. The Knights closed out their season with a win of 35-13 over St. Vincent.
Gene Wedbush, owner of the Shoe Horn, 19 E. Columbia cut the ribbon of the store's grand opening. The store sold men’s, women’s and children's shoes.
50 YEARS 1968
Presidential candidate Richard Milhouse Nixon and his running mate Spiro Agnew took the lead to win the Republican slot for President and Vice-President.
Some local state winners in the election were William Robinson for Treasurer, Jim Kirkpatrick for Secretary of State, John Danforth winner for attorney general and Bill Burlison won the 10th District Congressman.
St. Francois County elected Ken Buckley, Sheriff; Elliott Straughan, Judge and CA Lalumondier, Assessor. Returning to office was Leslie Jones, Harvey Collar and Karl Kassabaum.
The Farmington High School Black Knight Band participated in the televised homecoming activities of Southeast Missouri State College in Cape Girardeau. Also performing during the half-time show were the Knights baton twirlers, Sally Fitz, head twirler and twirlers Janis Bryant, Janice Botkin, Barbara McDaniel, Janice Anderson, Susie Black and Ruth Ann Parker.
Farmington High School Homecoming Queen candidates were Pat Politte, selected by the Student Council; Judy Towler of the Band; and Peggy McGuire from the Pep Squad.
Frank C. Kollmeyer retired from the Federal Land Bank Association of Farmington and was honored for his outstanding service at the annual 1968 stockholders meeting held at the Memorial United Methodist Church.
60 YEARS 1958
Clif Thomson and his wife, Mary, were the owners of Thomson’s Nursery that was located on Ste. Genevieve Avenue and Highway 67 across from the airport. The couple came to Farmington in 1925 for what was originally to be a three year stay.
At the time Clif was a sales representative for Commercial Milling Company and Mary taught home economics at Farmington High School for 20 years.
In 1953, the Thomson’s purchased the nursery from A.C. Wallace, who was a well-known nurseryman in this area and thus they changed the name to Thomson’s Nursery.
Grocery items selling at Dugals Market this week were: cake mixes at 10 cents each; canned biscuits at three for 25 cents and a one-pound box of Nabisco Premium Crackers for 25 cents.