30 Years – 1989
Candida Blackwell, Farmington Middle School, was a United States National Award winner in the categories of band and history/government. Candida is the daughter of Gale and Shirley Blackwell.
Matthew Hicks, Farmington Middle School, was named a United States National Award winner in history and government. Matthew is the son of Mr. and Mrs. Ray Hicks.
Vernon and Kay Walker, owners of the local Family Center Store, have purchased 42 acres of property on the outskirts of Farmington and built the 20,000 square foot store on that land. It was also announced that they would undergo an expansion and add square footage to the building making it around 45,000 square feet when done, doubling the current size.
40 Years – 1979
First, they disappeared, then they re-appeared. Four black Angus calves stolen from a farm in Ste. Genevieve County were discovered at the Farmington Auction Market. The owner of the calves, Ray Hartrup, was forced to buy back his own cattle. The sheriff’s department repeatedly denied any knowledge of the incident, referring all inquiries to the Ste. Genevieve County Sheriff’s Department. Hartrup was also forced to pay off when the man in possession of the animals refused to release them. The man stated he had purchased the calves from another man for cash and did not remember his name.
The Farmington Evening Press announced the sale of its job printing services to Scotch Print located on Potosi Street in Farmington.
The JC Penney Company announced that they would be opening a department store in the old Mohr Valu Store in Leadington at the St. Francois Plaza.
50 Years – 1969
Farmington School District announced the appointment of Larry Ackley as the principal of Farmington Senior High School. The new principal was a native from St. Joseph Missouri.
First State Bank, in recognition of their 15th year, presented a potted plan to the first 50 mothers who visited the bank. The bank was founded in May, 1954 with B.H. Jennings the initial president. Harry Jennings was president on this date with Jack Sebastian as executive vice-president.
The sale of Ozark Hills Golf Course was completed with the name being changed to Empire Country Club Estates, Inc. This corporation was owned by Charles G. Hyler, J.B. Crismon and Arthur (Red) Bone.
Mr. and Mrs. Leland Pauls were installed to head the Norman L. Rigdon Post 5896 and Auxiliary for this year.
US Air Force Lieutenant Colonel Elbert J. Hunt of Farmington was decorated with the Distinguished Flying Cross for air action in Vietnam.
60 Years – 1959
A new big barbecue pit was located in the school grove at Knob Lick which was donated to the citizens of Knob Lick by the members of the Friendly Folks Club project. The barbecue pit represents two years of efforts on the part of the club members and their husbands.
Construction was underway of the new Farmington Senior High School building which was completed by the end of the year.
Prosecuting Attorney Raymond Roberts announced the appointment of Charles G. Hyler as Assistant Prosecuting Attorney for St. Francois County. Mr. Hyler was a graduate from University of Missouri School of Law, where he was fourth in his graduating class.
The Farmington public school presented their annual Spring Band Concert at the High School auditorium.
70 Years – 1949
The St. Joseph Lead Company curtailed its prospecting operations by a third eliminating the night shift which would impact 90 workers. Higher seniority workers were placed elsewhere but workers with lower seniority were laid off. The curtailment came as a result of prospecting operating being ahead of development.
Sixty-seven Farmington High School seniors, accompanied by six sponsors and adults went on a 6-day tour of the south taking in Tennessee, Mississippi, Louisiana and Florida. This was the third year for the seniors to take a similar trip.
Mother’s Day would be celebrated for the first time without the active blessing of its founder, Miss Anna M. Jarvis of Philadelphia, who almost single-handedly create the nation’s most sentimental holiday. Anna Jarvis grew up in Grafton West Virginia where her mother taught Sunday school in St. Andrews Methodist Church. Each year Mrs. Jarvis conducted a celebration honoring the mothers of her Sunday school pupils.
She arranged the country’s first Mother’s Day service in 1907.The year after that Anna Jarvis persuaded Philadelphia to proclaim the first city-wide Mother’s Day. Then at her urging West Virginia made Mother’s Day a state-wide holiday in 1912. In the succeeding years, Miss Jarvis spent every penny of the moderate fortune left by her mother in establishing Mother’s Day as a deep-rooted American tradition.