The annual Hefner Furniture Christmas Parade, hosted by the Park Hills-Leadington Chamber of Commerce, is set for Thursday evening.
The parade’s theme this year is “Christmas on the Silver Screen,” with floats decorated to reflect favorite Christmas movies.
There is no entry fee to participate in the parade, but participants must register with the Chamber of Commerce by Monday. Decorated floats will be eligible to win cash prizes for the best floats.
First place will win the Hefner Furniture Championship Trophy, a $200 cash prize and a Hefner Furniture gift basket. Second place will win $150 and third place will take home $100.
The evening will begin with a welcome ceremony by Chamber President Brad Dush and Leadington Mayor Dustin Winick in Leadington Plaza in front of Hardee’s at 6 p.m. Winick will then light the Leadington Christmas tree and a performance by Central elementary students will follow.
The parade line-up will take place from 6:30 p.m. to 7 p.m., with the parade kicking off at 7. The parade will begin at Leadington Plaza and will end at the Park Hills Sports Complex, where holiday booths will be open.
Upon reaching the sports complex, Dush and Park Hills Mayor Daniel Naucke will welcome the crowd and Naucke will light the Park Hills Christmas tree. Following the tree lighting, the winners of the Little Master and Miss Christmas Contest sponsored by the River Worship Center will be named.
Prizes will then be awarded to the winning floats.
The chamber of commerce has guidelines in place for float entrants to keep in mind before, during and after the parade:
- All participants must be in line no later than 6:30 p.m.
- Parade officials will designate a Santa and Mrs. Claus. No other living Santa or Mrs. Claus is allowed.
- Entrants are encouraged to ride rather than walk because of the length of the parade route.
- As the parade will take place in the evening, entrants are encouraged but not required to create lighted floats.
- All entries using a generator are required to carry a fire extinguisher.
- Music is encouraged along the parade route, so long as it is at a reasonable volume.
- Entries involving animals are required to clean up after the animals during the parade.
- Participants will be given a number for judging purposes, to be displayed in the upper passenger-side corner of the float.
- Float entries are judged on the criteria of themed expression, creativity and effort.
- All entries must be approved by the Christmas Parade Committee and/or the Park Hills-Leadington Chamber of Commerce Board of Directors.
- Entries received after the deadline will be placed near the end of the parade, in the order received.
For more information, contact the Park Hills-Leadington Chamber of Commerce at 573-431-1051.