Subscribe for 33¢ / day

20 YEARS 1997

Santa Claus visited the regular monthly meeting of the Farmington Chamber of Commerce. But the jolly old man was interested in learning more information about First Night. First Night would be held on Dec. 31 as both a New Year’s Eve party and the first night of Farmington’s 200th anniversary. Activities would take place at Farmington High School and the Farmington Civic Center, with doors opening at 6 p.m.

Farmington celebrated groundbreaking for a new roller rink in the Maple Valley Shopping Center.

Workers from Brockmiller Construction in Farmington used the good weather to catch up on construction of a two-story addition at St. Paul Lutheran School in Farmington. The $1.1 million project included nine classrooms, a library/computer room and a band and choir room as well as storage space. The building was expected to be completed by June, 1998.

Biking enthusiasts were heartened to hear hopes were high for construction of a Bike Trail to begin by summer of 1998. The plans were in design stage and submitted to the Missouri Department of Transportation (MODOT) for review and recommendation.

30 YEARS 1987

The city of Farmington was pelted with rain, sleet and snow. The result was slick roads and ice that damaged trees and power lines, but no serious injuries were reported. Schools was dismissed early because of the hazardous road conditions.

Mr. and Mrs. Harry Henderson celebrated their 50th wedding anniversary with a celebration hosted by their children. The event was held at the Henderson home. Harry D. Henderson and Roberta Pinkston were married Oct. 3, 1937 at Doe Run by the Rev. JB Cash.

Bob Sherrill, son of Wayne and Vivian Sherrill, was awarded the Eagle Scout Badge at a ceremony held at the Memorial United Methodist Church. Sherrill was pinned by his mother. Sherrill was a senior and honor student at Farmington High School and did a number of projects to earn this badge.

40 YEARS 1977

With a police car in front and a fire truck in back, Santa Claus arrived in Farmington and greeted many who lined the streets of Farmington as he made his way to Long Memorial Hall.

Farmington city officials were breathing easier after the Economic Development Administration in Denver, Colorado granted the city a three-and-a-half month extension for the repaving project of Potosi and Liberty Streets. City Administrator Marvin Hudwalker said a spokesman for EDA called to say the deadline was extended to April 1, 1978.

The city had previously received a two-week extension. However, a second extension had to be requested due to the closing of the asphalt plant. Moisture mixed in with the asphalt, causing it to freeze and therefore unsuitable for use in a repaving project.

Two truck thefts resulted in both vehicles being recovered with no major damage done to either vehicle, although the piece of the puzzle is still missing. According to reports compiled by the Farmington police, a red 1978 Ford pickup truck was reported stolen from Sheets Motor Lot in Fredericktown and was recovered behind Mell’s Store in Farmington on Christmas Day. Also recovered in Iron County at the intersection of Highway J and Highway 72 was a two ton, van-bodied truck taken from behind Lerche’s Firestone, not far from where the abandoned truck was found. Police speculated the same parties were responsible for the theft of the Fredericktown truck and the taking of the Lerche Firestone van.

50 YEARS 1967

Keller Gierse, son of Mr. and Mrs. M.K. Gierse of Farmington and a pre-theological student at Southeast Missouri State College in Cape Girardeau, was expected to receive a Bachelor of Science Degree in Education and would begin his theological education at Eden Seminary in Webster Groves.

Thanks to a rescue team of Anton Brockmiller, Bill Cleve, David Hoehn and Sonny Cleve, a mother and her two sons were alive to enjoy Christmas. Mrs. Don (Nora) Rickus and her two sons, Martin Ward, 9, and Michael Brannon, 18 months, were rescued from flood waters which had swept the Rickus car from the iron bridge over Wolf Creek near Copenhagen.

She stated the water was over part of the bridge but seemed navigational. About the time she drove onto the bridge, a torrent of water swept into her path and carried the car off the road and into a field, where it lodged against a barbed wire fence.

Farmington Junior High School students, for the third consecutive year, provided food for needy families in the area. Forty boxes filled full of food stuffs, most of which was brought by the students from their homes, were prepared for distribution by the Welfare Office.

60 YEARS 1957

The St. Francois County Chapter of the American Red Cross received a check from the United Fund Organization of Farmington to help cover aid to those stricken by the tornado which caused one death and extensive property damage. Eight families suffered loss and injury along a 10 mile strip south and east of Farmington.

An excellent program given by the Junior High and High School Music Departments of Farmington Public Schools was presented in the high school auditorium. The presentation was directed by Mrs. E.J. McKinney, director of music in the elementary grades, and Mr. Gene Bryant, high school music director.

Much damage was done to utility lines by the tornado which went through the southern section of St. Francois County. The roof was practically torn off the brick home occupied by the Harry Kollmeyer family. They also lost a barn, milking parlor, garage and two large silos. Also, a frame home on the Kollmeyer place was completely destroyed.

70 YEARS 1947

In the roughest contest so far this season, which was marked by persistent fouling of both teams, the Farmington Knights defeated the Bismarck Indians by the score of 42-33 in Bismarck.

Excitement was at the orphanage when the Junior Department of the Taylor Avenue Methodist Church came over to Farmington to give the boys and girls a party. A wonderful time was had by all. The next day the children met Santa Claus in front of the theater, receiving gifts and attending the show. Several parties were held later, put on by different churches and organizations for the boys and girls.

The frame building housing Woody’s Grocery on Potosi Street was badly damaged by fire about 1 a.m. The fire originated from a defective motor and was discovered by J. B. Reinhart, Jr. who turned in the alarm.

Effective work from the local fire department prevented the blaze from doing too much damage. Some of the store fixtures were badly damaged, along with most of the merchandise.


Load comments