20 YEARS 1998
Top students for April and May were announced by the Farmington Rotary Club, with Erica Jones and Amanda Griggs receiving $50 savings bonds.
There were $2,000 scholarships presented to two youths by the Farmington Elks Lodge. One was awarded to Nathaniel Reid from Farmington. In addition, Farmington students each receiving $500 scholarships were Kevin Hale, Jennifer Rau, Laura Barks, Jody Swink, Jarred Pinkston, Julie Hawn, Shelley Watkins and Brooke Wigger. The top "Teen of the Year" from Farmington was Jody Swink.
The Farmington Knightettes dropped a varsity and junior varsity decision to the Poplar Bluff Lady Mules at the Farmington Industrial Park Soccer Field. In the varsity contest, Poplar Bluff jumped out to a 6-1 halftime lead before winning the contest 8-1. Cherie Fishbeck scored the only goal of the game for the Knightettes.
30 YEARS 1988
Fourteen Farmington High School juniors were selected to attend the Missouri Freedom Forum at Southeast Missouri State University. The forum was designed to “promote understanding and support of the free judicial and economic system in America.”
Students chosen were: Eric Schaper, Darren Stam, Sam Weakley, Mike Gamble, Brad Brown, Lori Barnard, Melanie Vieth, Emily Dierker, Amy Williamson, Joanne James, Shannon Satterthwaite, Jennifer Garner and Teresa Meyer.
Lucille Wallace raised the American Flag for the last time at the Knob Lick Post Office. Lucille retired after working 24 years as the postmaster for the small post office.
40 YEARS 1978
The Public Service Commission granted authority to Union Electric to transfer the balance of its transmission and distribution facilities in the city of Farmington to the city. The sale price was $17,038.15. Thirty residential and one commercial customer were involved in the sale, and all were notified.
Union Electric and the city signed an agreement in December of 1976 for UE to provide wholesale electricity for Farmington’s municipal system.
A very interesting building dated 1858 still stands. This historical landmark was the first Christian Church west of the Mississippi River. The settlement of Libertyville, was owned by the Honorable Nathaniel Cook; who also owned and gave the land for Fredericktown.
William McMurtry, a carpenter and minister, organized the Libertyville Church (Cook Settlement) on the third Lord’s Day, May 1822. The first services were held in the log schoolhouse which burned in 1844. The congregation built a frame building which also was destroyed by fire, making it necessary for them to use the new log schoolhouse until 1858, when they built the brick church in Libertyville. This building, known as Cook Settlement, was restored.
The East Central Missouri Shrine Club sponsored a parade and horse show which entertained crowds of all ages.
50 YEARS 1968
Dugal’s Grocery Store in Farmington was undergoing extensive outside remodeling, which included updating brick front and windows.
Ten members of Laborer’s Local 916 AFL-CIO walked off the job and were picketing the Thomas Dell Nursing Home for higher wages and a contract.
Manager Jack Gray said the strikers were replaced by other workers and the 70 patients were not lacking for care.
Hideo Kato, M.D. of Hayama, Japan, visited Farmington as a guest of Dr. and Mrs. G.L. Watkins. Dr. Kato, a chest specialist, was in the United States for a special study in chest diseases at the University of Southern California.
Dr. Watkins met Dr. Kato in Japan in April 1967 when he was there on a special seminar.
Two Farmington girls, Liz Presnell and Mimi Fischbeck were selected to attend Girls’ State at Stephens College in Columbia, Missouri. This trip was made possible by the American Legion Auxiliary and Business and Professional Women’s Club of Farmington.
60 YEARS 1958
The Farmington Board of Education opened submitted bids related to a two-room addition to the new elementary school on the northwest side. The Walter Brockmiller Construction Company of Farmington was awarded the contract on the basis of the low bid.
Board members and friends of the Presbyterian Children’s Home gathered for a dedication service for the completion of the three new brick cottages with housing for 12 boys in each.
The Farmington Girl Scouts Father/Daughter banquet was held at the Memorial Methodist Church with an attendance of 267 persons.
Mrs. Helen Horn of Flat River was introduced to the group as the new District Director, and the 15 troops represented were called on to stand with their leaders being recognized.
A real estate transaction was closed and Mr. and Mrs. Cecil W. Roberts purchased the downtown commercial lot, owned by Mr. and Mrs. Rolla Gordon. The lot fronted 60 feet on West Columbia Street and extended the full block along South Franklin, just west of Long Memorial Hall.
It was reported - however, nothing definite - for a new modern office building for Cecil M. Hulsey, local real estate broker.