Skip to main content
You have permission to edit this article.
Two injured in church explosion
breaking top story

Two injured in church explosion

  • Updated
  • 0

Two men were injured in a church fire Wednesday night in Madison County.

According to Madison County officials on the scene, father and son, Robert and Steven Starkey of Madison County were in the basement of Mountain View Church on Route A outside Marquand. The two men were working on the church’s furnace, when a propane explosion started the fire.

Support Local Journalism

Your membership makes our reporting possible.

Both men were transported by ambulance to Mercy Hospital in St. Louis. Their conditions are unknown at this time. 

The Marquand Fire Department received the call at 4:32 p.m., and called the Cherokee Pass Fire Department for assistance. Cherokee Pass Fire Department Chief Bill Starkey said the fire was under control by 6 p.m.

The church was completely destroyed by the fire.

The two fire departments, Madison County Sheriff’s Department, the Missouri State Highway Patrol and the Missouri State Fire Marshal were still on the scene at 8:15 p.m.


Be the first to know

* I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its user agreement and privacy policy.

Related to this story

Get up-to-the-minute news sent straight to your device.


News Alerts

Breaking News