The Fredericktown Red Hat Fillies have organized a self-guided Madison County Bicentennial Church Tour.
Robin Yount said the main goal of the tour is to help each person learn a little more history of the town and to experience the different faiths of the community.
The tour will be from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday and includes 14 of the churches located throughout the county.
"We drive by in our small town and we talk about this church and that but yet we've never been inside," Yount said. "It's just a good way to learn a little history more than anything else. I think it is going to be a neat thing and we are encouraging people to get out there and check it out."
Yount said the idea is to learn history about all the churches.
Many churches will be providing refreshments and some may be decorated for the holidays.
Madison County God's Country Cowboy Church is participating in the tour and will be extending its festivities past 4 p.m. with a Christmas movie starting at 4 p.m. and Country Jammers playing Christmas music from 6 to 8 p.m.
"The history of churches in Madison County goes back before Madison County was a county," Cowboy Church Pastor Steve Francis said. "So come enjoy a fun-filled day with sweets, treats, decorations and Cowboy Santa and like we say 'wear your muddy boots, bring your dog and come on by.'"
Each church may or may not be decorated for Christmas but will have greeters to welcome guests. This self-guided tour gives people the opportunity to visit the churches in whichever order they please.
The event is free but free-will donations may be given at each church for its charity at the discretion of each participant.
The 14 churches participating in the Madison County Bicentennial Church Tour are
- First Baptist Church, 115 E. College Ave.
- First Christian Church, 208 W Main St.
- First Freewill Baptist Church, 320 N Main St.
- First Presbyterian Church of Fredericktown, 505 South Main St.
- Fredericktown United Methodist Church 216 S. Main St.
- God's Country Cowboy Church, 160 Commercial Dr.
- Higdon Christian Church, 2148 Madison 257
- Mine La Motte Freewill Baptist Church
- New Providence United Baptist Church, 709 S. Main St.
- St. Michael's Catholic Church, 400 W. Main St.
- Trinity Evangelical Lutheran Church, 601 Kingsbury Blvd.
- Twelve Mile Baptist Church
- Twin Oaks Freewill Baptist Church, 1297 Madison 219
- First Baptist Church, Marquand
A list of all 14 churches along with driving directions is available at all participating churches and at Subway in Fredericktown.