Skip to main content
You have permission to edit this article.
Edit
Dozens of ex-Michigan football players, Anderson victims to demand action from school
AP

Dozens of ex-Michigan football players, Anderson victims to demand action from school

  • Updated
  • 0
{{featured_button_text}}

Dozens of former Michigan football players and other students who say they were sexually assaulted by Dr. Robert Anderson will hold a news conference outside Michigan Stadium on Wednesday morning to demand action from the school's leadership.

The former student-athletes and other students will be at the corner of S. Main Street and Pauline Blvd., right outside of the famed home of the Wolverines football team, to "call for immediate action ahead of this week's (U-M) Board of Regents meeting," according to a media advisory released Tuesday morning.

Anderson has been accused of sexually assaulting hundreds of U-M students during his tenure at the school, which spanned from the late 60s until 2002 and including time as the head medical doctor for the football team.

Last Thursday, two former Michigan players, Gilvanni Johnson and David Kwiatkowski, along with Matt Schembechler, the son of former U-M coach Bo Schembechler, came forward to the public to detail the abuse they suffered as patients of Anderson. They also said that Coach Schembechler, the iconic figure and former athletic director at U-M, was told about the abuse but did nothing to stop it.

Hundreds of men have sued the university for not stopping Anderson. The cases are currently in mediation in federal court. In May, an investigation conducted by the law firm WilmerHale concluded that Anderson's misconduct was reported "several times between 1978 and 1981," but that a "senior University administrator ... did not take appropriate action."

The Free Press has reached out to each member of the Board of Regents regarding the status of the statue of Bo Schembechler outside of Schembechler Hall on campus. None of them responded except chairwoman Denise Ilitch, who forwarded the statement released by the university during last week's news conference. It reads:

"Our sympathy for all of Anderson’s victims is deep and unwavering, and we thank them for their bravery in coming forward. We condemn and apologize for the tragic misconduct of the late Dr. Robert Anderson, who left the University 17 years ago and died 13 years ago. We are committed to resolving their claims and to continuing the court-guided confidential mediation process."

0
0
0
0
0

Be the first to know

* I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its user agreement and privacy policy.

Related to this story

Most Popular

  • Updated

LOS ANGELES — Apparently, former Santa Ana Mater Dei quarterback Bryce Young is already rolling in riches as the starting quarterback at Alabama in college sports' new NIL era — for name, image and likeness — before even taking a snap as the Crimson Tide's starter. Alabama coach Nick Saban told a large group assembled at the Texas High School Coaches Association convention Tuesday that Young, ...

Get up-to-the-minute news sent straight to your device.

Topics

News Alerts

Breaking News