Subscribe for 17¢ / day

PARK HILLS – Arcadia Valley recovered from a crushing three-set defeat earlier on Thursday to notch a marquee victory in what served as its regular season finale.

The Lady Tigers stormed back from an eight-point deficit during the second set, and celebrated a 25-17, 26-24 triumph over Farmington to secure third place in the MAAA volleyball tournament.

Junior Laney Tucker smashed nine kills from the middle while outside hitters Karson Dement and Josie Landrum provided seven each for the Lady Tigers (24-6-1).

Arcadia Valley saw two match points slip away during semifinal action against eventual champion Valle Catholic, and appeared to be teetering after a brilliant start against the higher-seeded Knights.

Farmington was powered by eight kills from Jesse Miller along with five kills and four blocks by Jordyn Harris while racing to a 19-11 advantage in game two.

The precision that generated kills on four consecutive kills evaporated following a timeout, and Arcadia Valley fired back with a 6-0 scoring spurt.

Tucker buried three swings during that segment of the match as stellar digs by setter Macey Browers and libero Katie Whited prolonged separate rallies.

Freshman Maddie DeMent solo blocked an attempted tip to the floor to forge a 20-20 tie, and Landrum answered an ensuing block by Miller with a tying kill.

Farmington touched the net to give AV a 23-22 edge, but Cate Robke landed a clutch spike after Emily Greif and Sarah Bauer made saving digs for a 24-24 tie following back-to-back service errors.

Tucker put the Lady Tigers back in front with another big kill, and drove the final spike through the Farmington defense on match point when the Knights cleared a free ball.

Browers totaled 26 assists in the victory, and Whited handled blistering spikes throughout the contest to finish with 16 digs.

Blair Busenbark had a team-high 10 digs while Macey Pauls and Grief added seven each for the Knights (21-11), who returned to action immediately after falling in three to Ste. Genevieve in the semifinals.

Neither team established a lead greater than two points through a 10-10 deadlock in game one. Arcadia Valley gained momentum from there following a dazzling defensive rally.

Whited and Greif each stopped two blistering attacks, and the ball changed sides several times before DeMent struck with a go-ahead shot from the middle.

Arcadia Valley took the next three points on Farmington hitting errors to lead 14-10, and gradually widened that gap to 18-12 before pulling away with a 5-0 spurt.

Matt King is the sports editor for the Daily Journal. Contact him at


Sports Editor

Load comments